The British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa is the leading Canadian family history society with a focus on the British Isles.
Our aim is to connect family historians as a community that encourages sharing of knowledge, learning trusted research methods and best practices and inspiring others through member-based programming and publications.
Our intention is:
To connect, educate, share and inspire.
Our work is:
To encourage family history research, and its dissemination, by people with ancestry throughout the British Isles (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands) through
- connecting BIFHSGO members with each other and other like-minded persons;
- educating both beginning and more experienced family historians by promoting and demonstrating trusted research methods and best practices;
- sharing members’ knowledge readily with other researchers;
- inspiring others through educational presentations and members’ published stories.
As a society, we value:
- stewardship: taking an active role in the society’s activities (volunteering, presenting, writing, etc.) to ensure BIFHSGO continues to thrive;
- innovation: seeking fresh ways to encourage and facilitate family history research and its dissemination;
- excellence: achieving a high standard in family history research through adoption of best practices;
- sharing: sharing information and experience among members and with others;
- integrity: communicating with honesty, openness and transparency; and
- collaboration: conducting activities with cooperation and mutual respect.
Explore becoming a member